Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day 1940's style!

It all started when my sweet husband asked me on a date to go back in time with him to 1943.. "A Night in the 40's Big Band Dance." I was like... "Here he goes again.. another one of his ideas and the kicker was he wanted "US" to dress like we were from the 40's !! I really had no say in this and I knew it meant a lot to him for us to go, so I went along with it all. Sal is one of the biggest WWII enthusiasts I have ever seen, so I knew how much he also wanted to go to this dance because he knew there would be WWII veterans  there and there sure was. WE had the best time and met so many great people. We had our picture taken in front of B17 Sentimental Journey and Sal got to speak to the WWII veterans. I have to tell you when you meet a WWII veteran it is an absolute honor in my eyes that would make anyone "well up" knowing what these brave men went through in WWII.

There were dance contests and a costume contest. Of course Sal wanted to enter that. Sal had been putting together for months his 101st Airborne uniform that Dick Winters wore. The authentic uniform, boots, an actual WWII pot with netting, actual WWII scarf made out of a WWII parachute, Chesterfield cigs and a first aid kit for the pot, among other things he got to put his look together. He looked absolutely awesome and very handsome I may add.. Me, I found a dress online that was very 40's my mom did my hair and that was me!

So, the costume contest, we did enter and it was quite the experience.. being it was our first time after they announced our names and introduced us for judging, we went back to our seats as we did not know any better...well all of a sudden, there was a winner LOL! We are like, "What?!" LOL..... I went to the bathroom and all of a sudden one of the judges stops me in a complete panic and said,"Where did you go? NEXT YEAR!!!! We were all looking for the both of you and you disappeared!!! You would have won!!" I was like, "This is our first year and we did not know what to do so we went back to our seats!" Again, she said,"NEXT YEAR!" Later on, Sal and I saw her and another judge and they said,"There they are... there they are...NEXT YEAR!" Sal and I laughed.. so next year for sure, we will know where to go and Sal is already excited to add to his look...it was all so funny!

We did have a fantastic time and look forward to next year.. Thank you for the great date my love!! I love you so very much!!

Gigi was with Grandma and Grandpa and they were in their glory!! We kept saying though, in a couple years Jeej can come with us and Mommy and Daddy will dress her up as a little girl from the 40's!

Enjoy the pics!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment